Friday, November 21, 2008

Two days, two accidents


So the girls are trying to give make me gray or give me a heart attack -- maybe both. This has been a rough week for the Beckner sisters. Lilly received her first injury when she took a rough tumble on Thursday. What was she doing? Jumping on a bed? No. Just walking on the sidewalk with her sitter, Kyle, and Belle on their way to pick up her daughter, Gabby. Lilly fell on her left shoulder on the sidewalk. She was fine until later in the afternoon, following her nap, she started complaining that her neck hurt. So I retrieved them from Kyle's. Dropped Belle off to Daddy (at his birthday outing) and took Lilly on to the ER at Women's and Children's, where we spent 2 hours. After talking to the doc (and assuring her that I had nothing to do with this accident!), they started the X-rays with the collar bone and discovered it was broken. She has to wear a "special backpack" for two weeks. We see an orthopedic doc on Monday for her injury.

I called Stacey (the sitter on Fridays) to tell her about Lilly's injury and explain you have to pick her up from the bottom when lifting her. She calls me two hours later and says, "You're going to kill me. But Belle jumped off the couch and hit her chin on the coffee table and is going to need stitches." I had just got to work from a meeting. I dropped everything to rush to Scott Depot and pick up both girls, where I learned it wasn't her chin, but her left eye (outer corner). I made a joke to calm Belle down, who is now hysterical again because I'm there. I asked if she was being the monkey on a bed who fell off and bumped his head, but Stacey explained that she just flopped off the counch from laying down and hit the coffee table.

At first, the gash didn't look so bad, but it just kept bleeding the 4 hours we waited in the emergency room at CAMC Teays Valley Hospital. The small band-aid was basically holding it together. It required four stitches. We were surprised that only Andrew and another man had to hold her still. She was actually very brave and very good for such a big injury. She cried of course and begged us to help her (breaking my heart, of course.) Mommy cried in the corner at this point. Doc told me I couldn't be near her if I was going to be upset as it would only upset her more. Belle told us it burned when they put the numbing medicine in, but then was pretty good for the stitches. Afterward and actually while we waited, she was the sweetest little girl and just colored and talked to people around us. She's quite the social butterfly, much like her Mommy. It's been an eventful, tiring and stressful two days. But I guess we were due... we haven't had any injuries or illnesses since Belle's last daredevil injury in May -- her left ear cut open. I just pray that the kid won't have all kinds of scars on her face before she's a teen-ager.

Note: We'll get a picture of Lilly's "special backpack" tomorrow and post it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lilly's picture reminds me of Noah's visit to the doctor and x-rays after he broke his arm. I can't believe she has a smile on her face though.

I hope everyone heals quickly.