Monday, October 29, 2007

Carving Pumpkins



Fall is my favorite time of the year. Probably because I have so many childhood memories of fun family times -- like carving pumpkins. I get nostalgic in the fall. This leads me to want to recreate my memories with my children. Unforutnately, they're not too keen on creating lasting childhood memories (yet!) No, they definitely like picking out pumpkins and think they're cool. But carve them? Yuck. What's that inside, Mommy, Belle asks. Cook pumpkin seeds to eat later? No thank you, Mommy. Drink hot apple cider while we listen to fun Halloween songs and carve our pumpkin. No, thank you Mommy. Just give me some juice and crackers and I'll run around and play while you do all the work. The extent of Belle's help was to pick out the pattern that we would use to carve our pumpkins. You see the end result. As for the Beckner family memories... I guess we'll have to wait a few more years for the girls to get older.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice pumpkin you will create you're own traditions, one thing I have learned you can't go back. That's why memories are so special because we always think about the good times but like a photograph they are just a moment in time.

Love Dad and Grandpa

Battlebott said...

As much as I hate to admit it, Grandpa is right.
While I cherish my childhood Halloweens, I've learned to love each new one just as much.
Actually, now that I'm older I enjoy the carving contests grandpa and I have almost as much as I enjoyed trick-or-treating.
Almost.
:P